Unfinished building at Drapanos, Apokoronas
A building at Drapanos with a great perspective in the middle of its construction is located in Apokoronas.
This building has started to be built and has not been completed yet, so whoever buys it, has the opportunity to make his dream come true with a house in nature, in a place with an excellent view at Drapanos territory.
It is also an ideal opportunity for someone who wants to invest in this building, as he can create an impressive villa on the spot and take advantage of it for tourism.
The total area of the plot is 7 acres, while it can build up to 200m².
Drapanos is located at the northeastern end of Apokoronas, at an altitude of 305 meters. It occupies the southern slope of Drapanokefala, a trapezoid-shaped hill that overlooks the Gulf of Souda (to the northwest) and the Gulf of Almiros (to the east).
The village probably owes its name to the adjacent cape Drapano or Drepano, which was named so because its tip looks like a scythe. According to another source, Drapano was the name of the first settler of the village, which is mentioned in the Archivio Ducale di Candia (modern-day Heraklio) in 1378. There is no mention of the village in documents and censuses of the Venetian era, but it is mentioned in the Egyptian census of 1834 as Drapanos, populated by 300 Christian and 25 Muslim families.
Realizing the strategic importance of Drapanokefala for the control of the Gulf of Souda, after the Battle of Crete (May 1941) the Germans designed and built fortifications in the area using forced labor and installed a cable car that connected Kokkino Chorio to an observatory on the top of Drapanokefala, at an altitude of 527 meters. According to oral tradition, the machine guns that were situated here fired at the forces of ELAS (Greek People’s Liberation Army) during the battle of Panagia in Keramia (20 km away) in November 1944, as well as the bell tower of Evangelistria in Fres (10 km away). After the war many of these facilities were destroyed, either due to attrition or intentionally.
Today Drapanos is known mainly for its old houses, its impressive views and its tavernas, although the establishment of the European Sustainability Academy in 2012 caused a renewed interest for the village, as it often hosts events and tours related to ecology and sustainability. From Drapanos, a path leads through a small gorge to the chapel of Agios Ioannis (St John) and Gordeli, a narrow coast on the northern side of the Bay of Ombrosyalos. Administratively, Drapanos was mentioned as part of the Municipality of Vamos in 1881 and 1900, part of the rural Municipality of Kefalas in 1920 and of the Community of Kefalas from 1928 to 1999, when the Municipality of Vamos was reconstituted. Since 2010, Drapanos is part of the Local Community of Kefalas of the Municipal Unit of Vamos, which is part of the Municipality of Apokoronas.